Monday, November 7, 2016

Austin, Texas Bag ban its a start

     I like the plastic bag ban law that is in place in Austin and I personally have been affected by it as well. I like the whole idea of trying to reduce plastic bags in landfills by making a law that bans stores in Austin from supplying free plastic bags for their customers there in turn make the customers bring their own bags preferably bags that they can use over and over again. Well it turns out according to cnsnews the bag ban had some unforeseen repercussions like people forgetting their reusable bags ‘who would have thought people forget things’ because of this people end up buying the bigger thicker bags with handles at the stores, that take even longer to decompose than the original plastic bags. Even though this is true I feel like what Austin did is a step in the right direction. By forcing a change this big people will eventually get the hang of remembering their reusable bags. Austin should post more advertising about remembering reusable bags and I’m sure eventually people will get it like myself I at first forgot but now I carry bags in the trunk of my car. I have seen the good effects the bag ban has had in surrounding areas where I live for one I see less and close to none plastic bags flying around the sides of the roads near big box stores. It is obvious that the bag ban has done great things here In Austin there are drawbacks like customers nagging and complaining about having to carry things without a bag but it is necessary in order to move forward in reducing waste.

No comments: